Position Title: Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Location: Escondido, CA
Job Code: 18A0404
Job Description Overview:
TransPower is seeking a senior Manufacturing Engineering Manager who will be responsible for assuring that manufacturability is factored into the design of electric vehicle products developed and manufactured by TransPower, an emerging leader in delivering electric drive solutions for medium and heavy-duty vehicles such as trucks, tractors, and school buses. This position supports or directly impacts the overall performance metrics for both facilities operated by TransPower. The Manufacturing Engineering Manager will establish and direct manufacturing practices, processes, procedures, facilities, tools and equipment for production to achieve safety, quality, productivity, environmental and financial objectives. This position requires the use of lean manufacturing principles to minimize inventory, maximize throughput, and optimize facility utilization. TransPower engages in multiple parallel projects to convert one or more diesel vehicles to operate on battery-electric power, sometimes augmented with onboard engines operated in a hybrid mode. Projects can range from a single vehicle using newly-designed or highly customized components to multiple vehicle projects involving conversion of ten or more identical vehicles. TransPower is also transitioning to repetitive manufacturing and qualification of electric drive kits consisting of motors, batteries, and power electronics for shipment to vehicle manufacturers for installation on their own assembly lines. Manufacturing Engineering Manager candidates should therefore be able to consider manufacturing needs in both prototyping and mass production environments. The candidate must possess the drive to become a future leader who delivers outstanding results in a dynamic cross-functional environment.
- Methodically analyze assembly processes and drive changes to establish and ensure consistent and efficient flow to optimize manpower and to meet quality and delivery targets in both low and high volume production environments.
- Evaluate and conceptualize changes to improve tooling, work holding and ergonomic opportunities to support production in this fast-paced setting.
- Serve as primary liaison with cross-function Product Development Teams providing Design for Manufacturing (DFM) input for new products, and acting as the primary interface and transition of new product to a full production environment.
- Design and implement efficient processes using lean manufacturing principles, to enable single piece flow in a pull system philosophy for existing products or new product launches as appropriate.
- Conduct assessments of existing or proposed manufacturing processes to provide focused improvement opportunities to increase production efficiencies, eliminate waste, reduce inventory, reduce lead times, increase quality and improve safety and ergonomics.
- Utilize value stream mapping to identify and eliminate waste as well as evaluate potential changes in workflow to maximize production efficiencies.
- Lead cross-functional teams to implement 5S improvements, standard work, set-up reduction, and problem solving/rapid change Kaizen activities.
- Participate in and perform corrective action implementation and root cause analysis on assigned customer complaints or internal failures as assigned.
- Justify and purchase capital equipment/tooling to improve or implement manufacturing processes.
- Establish and document production standards and controls, conduct initial time studies and establish labor standards for all products as necessary.
- Generate work instructions, process control procedures and operating procedures utilizing visual factory methods in the creation of the work environment.
- Establish appropriate methods, tools, equipment, etc. required to produce products in keeping with established [ISO 9001 compliant] operating standards (awareness to AIAG tools: APQP-development process, FMEA-PFMEA, MSA-gage studies, SPC-capability studies, PPAP-product approval).
- Complete PFMEA analysis in a cross functional environment.
- Read drawings, use of Solidworks knowledge of GD&T (geometric dimensioning and tolerancing) to support fit/form/function in the manufacturing area.
- Work with the product development teams and management to provide input for make vs. buy decisions.
- Provide input to Bills of Material and routing as necessary to maintain inventory control, financial controls and customer quality standards in the process.
- Establish initial calibration schedules for implemented measuring and test equipment.
- Establish/maintain facility layout that is consistent with kanban, efficient material flow and pull system techniques.
- Establish procedures for proper handling, use and disposal of any hazardous materials that are implemented/added to the plant.
- Provide and/or implement continuous improvement ideas and direction for manufacturing and production.
- Be a contributing member of a continuous improvement and employee-involved culture.
- Knowledge of or desire to be involved with Six Sigma methodologies and ability to be trained at the green belt level minimum.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years history in heavy manufacturing production environment to include product launch experience.
- Previous experience with lean manufacturing methods.
- Experience in assembly or manufacturing of complex systems involving new technologies or designs.
- Undergraduate degree in Manufacturing or Mechanical Engineering
- Advanced degree preferred
Required Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills:
- Expert user of appropriate office and manufacturing related technologies, CAD experience a must.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving ability.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional environment, gaining consensus and cooperation.
- Hands-on preference to work in manufacturing floor area when necessary to resolve issues with all levels of personnel.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow up on action items and to motivate peers and subordinates to complete their tasks on schedule.
- Ability to function in a high-pressure environment with high customer expectations.
- Positive team spirit with a sincere interest in helping the Company and co-workers to succeed.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize workload and meet deadlines with a problem-solving mentality.
- Continuous improvement driven with a willingness to adopt new ideas/skills.
- Familiarity with all phases of the life-cycle of high-technology product development, from design through prototype fabrication through testing to repetitive production.
- Familiarity with ERP systems such as Oracle, SAP, or Microsoft Dynamics.
- Knowledge of automotive and/or electrical technologies.
How to Apply:
Reference Job ID#18A0404. Submit resume and cover letter as one document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transportation Power is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment is based on business needs, merit, performance and competence. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.